I've added "word verification" to the comment area to block spammers. My apologies.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Guest Blog: Is it peas?!?


I'm a huge Ellen Degeneres fan - I remember when she was a virtual unknown, doing young comedian's specials. She always had the perfect comedic timing. One of her last tours, Here and Now, included a bit about how the local news outlets try to terrify you into watching the late news. "It's the most deadly thing in the world and you could be having it for dinner. Find out at 11." Ellen would hold an invisible fork to her lips, eyes wide, and say "Is it peas?!"

Part of the humor of this is that it's an extreme exaggeration of the truth. Or so I thought, until I saw a promo last night for the Fox 10:00 news that said "Does your doctor wear a tie to work? Find out how it could affect your health." Whaaa?

I didn't tune back in to watch, but still this morning I was still trying to work out what the hell it could mean. I finally found a story online that says ties, while regarded as a mark of professionalism, can actually spread "superbugs." Get this - the report says that ties should be condemned because "they are rarely washed and can trail into wounds, spreading infections."

Trail into wounds? Where are these doctors that they are leaning over open wounds and dipping their ties into them? And what about the people with these open wounds - don't they have bigger problems than their doctor's ties? How about some sutures over here, doc?

So the report is calling for the elimination of "functionless" clothes, in favor of "freshly laundered, simple outfits." I think we should put that law into effect worldwide - oh wait, does that mean all us women will be left with is push-up bras, girdles and support hose?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home