I've added "word verification" to the comment area to block spammers. My apologies.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Guest Blog: Do you need it three times a week?


No, I'm not talking about sex. I mean American Idol. Sure, I love it and I could watch it every day. But the emphasis is on could - I have a life, you know (just play along, ok).

I just got my American Idol enewsletter (oh shut up) and it informs me that Idol will be on three - count 'em, three - times this week. Two nights of singing, then a night of results. And we all remember the results show... the most uttered phrase is "we'll find out... right after the break". Then there's the Monkees-style little commercials, where it doesn't matter if you're labeled a "rocker" or a "crooner," you come off as a complete dork. How you keep your street cred when you are wearing a paper hat and singing into a spatula is beyond me.

And there are the obligatory "shocks" - where someone really talented gets voted off because the pimply teen brigade thinks that a lesser talented girl looks good in a bippy shirt. It's what makes watching it all the more compelling - it's a fascinating psychological study.

And I'll watch - it's my obsession. And yes, I am indeed one of those people who actually call in and vote. (and no, I'm not 12) Olympics, shmolimics (sorry Cherry) - this is reality tv at its most watchable. Go Ace! (he sings good AND I bet he looks good in a bippy shirt)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home