I've added "word verification" to the comment area to block spammers. My apologies.

Monday, January 16, 2006

The Jeep...Follow-Up.

So the Jeep is fixed. Another hundred dollars later. Fuckers. I get up at 6:30 in the morning - on a Saturday - so I can get there as earlier as possible. And, trust me, I would have much rather STAYED IN BED. But I tore myself away from that temptation and got over there around 7:30.

It's pretty typical....a box of donuts that have probably been there since 6am and the only ones left are either waxy looking or have pink glaze. Blech. Never fear, I have my Starbucks with me and a pastry in my pocket so I am sort of content.

Then there are the chairs...light, neutral colored but all have some kind of mildly suspicious stain on them. I find one around a corner, by itself, with a desk next to it and a footrest that someone has attempted to turn into a chair by pushing it against the wall...I use it as a footrest. I can also see the TV in the reflection of a picture on the wall. So, I am amongst the other PODs (Prisoners of Dealerships) but as far away from them as I can get. And I brought a book, of course. One that I actually have to read - because I refuse to waste any amount of my life just sitting in the customer "lounge"....where are the La-Z-Boys?

And the other people...there's not even enough time to get into that. But they all look miserable and tired. It's the hap-hap-happiest place on Earth.

So, after about an hour or so, someone comes in - I've been calling him Tony in my head, because he looked like a Tony to me. Tony is loud so there are no secrets between me, Tony, the other PODs and probably every person in the showroom down the hall.

According to Tony, the last time I brought the car in, they replaced the rear brake pads and refaced the rotors. Refaced...very important. The problem is the rotors. They really need to be replaced. Huh? And then Tony guarantees that I will not hear the sound anymore. But Tony, my dear dear fellow, the car was fine when I brought it in...there was no sound....it started after I brought the car here.

Yeah. Because the rotors were reFACED. They need to be rePLACED. Then the sound goes away. Ohhhh... How very foolish of me. Why wasn't that done 2 weeks ago when you had the car all the damn live-long day?

Yeah. They still had some wear in them but, really, it's better to replace them. And we charged you $69.95 to reface the rotors. New rotors cost $169.95....but I'm gonna credit you the $69.95. And we'll replace the brake pads again...for free.

Well, what more can you ask for?

Of course, all the loungers are listening to this. I really want to take Tony into a private office and shake him until his big round head rolls around a few times. In the end, he's just doing his job and I'm gonna have to replace the rotors at some point.

This is just wasting my time. OKay, Tony, how long is this going to take? 'Boundenhour. That would be "about an hour" to you and me. I have lots of book left....

Okay, Tony, fix 'er up, my good man!

Better then his word, 45 minutes later, the rotors and brake pads are replaced, I pay my hundred bucks and head home.

I'm only irritated that I could have stayed in bed had they only replaced the rotors when they had it before. Why must they toy with me like that?

1 Comments:

At 1/20/2006 10:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you were dupped. ReSURFACED or not reSURFACED rotors (ie., bad because they are no longer as thick as what is required by law and pose a hazzard of breaking when brake pressure is applied) have nothing to do with noisy brakes. The noise most likely was the metal plate behind the brakes that usually gets bent when brakes are changed, which causes it to touch the rotor and make a noise. It just simply needs to be bent back, away from touching the rotor.

Since the guy lied to you, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even replace your rotors for that extra hundred dollars.

Carey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home