I've added "word verification" to the comment area to block spammers. My apologies.

Friday, December 30, 2005

This Is Your Brain

I’m amazed at how blog-lazy I got during the holidays. I thought, for sure, I’d have mountains of time to work on my web site, blog until my fingers fell off and wallow in my geekdom. Alas, that was not the case. So I feel I’m in catch up mode, though I’m not because I don’t have an editor or deadlines….which is nice.

On Tuesday evening, a bunch of us went over to McG’s. She had ACL surgery and was in full court press convalescence. Since she couldn’t go downtown for poker, I asked if she’d like us to bring the poker game to her. I thought this was a stupendous idea. Our fallback plan was movies. We valiantly tried to get a real game going. In the end (an hour later), we had an “everyone-all-in, deal-the-cards-up” hand. The person with the least amount of poker experience – let’s call her Poker Sally (because it’s my blog and I like the name) – won. Of course.

After the poker game came to a whimpering end, we started watching “D.E.B.S” – which is the equivalent of “Charlie’s Angels” – except it’s their teenage years and one of them is in the closet. It’s one of those weird cult movies that probably gets funnier each time you watch it because you notice something new. Also, Lucy Diamond (Jordana Brewster) is hot. And her lips are not too thin, Mae! No they’re not!

I’m sitting next to Nan, watching the movie. It was like sitting next to my brain. We would either make the same comment at the same time or she would say what I was thinking. It was a little weird…and kinda cool. She and I think way too much alike.

BTW - Poker Sally also won at my house earlier in the week. I received a plug-n-play video poker game for Christmas. I think it was Monday when I called her up and said, “hey, come over here so I can play video poker against a real person, instead of the flippin’ computer”. I’ll preface the rest of this with the fact that I had beaten the flippin’ computer several times already and was a video millionaire.

While we’re playing, the two of us and two computer players, she accidentally goes all in…”whoops, I didn’t mean to do that”….and you can’t undo it. She won the hand. WTF. Then it happened again a few hands later. When it happened a third time in heads up poker between her and me (her and I?, she and I?), I thought she might be doing it on purpose. My first instinct, however, was to fold and let her off the hook. Then the devil on my shoulder, who had gagged the angel with her own halo, was whispering “she’s bluffing” into my ear.


In my head, I hear my cool, raspy poker voice (it sounds like Demi Moore) saying, “okay, I’ll dance with ya’”. I even gave her that long, dare ya’ stare of Demi’s….you know the one - “A Few Good Men” meets “G.I. Jane”. I was totally psyching her out….this was the big hand….the money hand…the one where I teach her that beginner’s luck is an urban myth in MY living room. Feel the cool, icy stare and fold, Poker Sally...fold.

She asked me if I had something in my eye. Then she won the hand. My ego still hasn’t come out from under the couch. It might stay there until Spring.

On the drive in today, I heard Poison on the radio. “Every Rose Has Its Thorn”. I’m listening to the lyrics and thinking to myself…”well, aren’t they just so prophetic…every rose DOES have it’s thorn”. Or maybe they’re just prophylactics.

This is your brain. This is MY brain…sitting on the couch, wearing a green turtle neck and drinking a Dos Equis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home