I've added "word verification" to the comment area to block spammers. My apologies.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Rise and Fall...

Today's installment of Dave the Muse...

Write about something on the verge of collapse: building, bridge, marriage, contest, institution, alliance, certainty, the country (okay, I added that last one)

Wow…so many options from which to choose. I can think of two that are not so, shall we say, important. I’ll just tackle the one for now.

The dishes stacked in the drying rack.

Most of the dishes go in the dishwasher. I did the Palmolive moments growing up and in our first apartment. Dishwashers rock. However, much like laundry, there are “delicates” that do not go in the dishwasher. They have not been deemed “dishwasher safe” by the proper authorities.

These particular items, the “dish delicates”, are washed by hand and left to dry in the oh-so-decorative white plastic rack beside the sink. They typically include handmade pottery (plates, mugs, bowls, etc.), really expensive or really big knives, wine glasses, pots and pans and more plastic containers then I ever remember buying.

On a night when all the culinary planets align, there can be quite the assortment of things that need to be hand washed. Stacking them is akin to building a house of cards. Each subsequent move requires more skill, balance and a lighter touch. I usually end up putting the plastic containers and lids on last since they are lightest and I care the least about them should they fall.

This mountain of ceramic, metal, glass and plastic is always on the verge of collapse. I sometimes hold my breath when I pass by, gliding along like Little Cindy Lou Who (you never see her feet).

Then the moment will come when you will need an item near the bottom. The smart thing to do, of course, is to put the dishes away so you can safely reach the desired item. The challenging (nice word for stupid) thing to do is to carefully wiggle the damn thing out of there.

Jenga for the kitchen, if you will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home