I've added "word verification" to the comment area to block spammers. My apologies.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Open Book

I’m in the middle of a huge déjà vu experience. It was almost a year ago when I started this blog and I would often compose out here on the patio while Einstein would slink and sniff and stalk his way around the back yard. It was where I discovered Wil Wheaton’s blog – the door to an alternate universe comprised of well known and well liked strangers. There were questions…

What did I want my blog to be?
Did it have a purpose?
Do I have a message?
How much of my soul would I bare?
Who would find this and did I want them to receive the open invitation that is the internet?


...just to name a few.

This is where I find myself again. After work. On my patio. Keeping a semi-watchful eye on the little man. Laptop on my, well….lap. A soundtrack of birds, passing cars, distant after-school kids and the tap tap tap of the keyboard. The same questions. Just the hint of answers.

I’ve never defined this blog and have wondered at different times why I have to.

The only purpose is that I like to write, no matter how inept I may be at it. I like having the outlet to bitch and complain and vet ideas and ramble about things that might only have meaning to me.
I don’t really have a message, I’m not big on pushing my convictions on others.
I’ve bared very little….whether it’s because the subject is private or because there’s very little to bare….I’m not that complex. I’ve read over and over again that once you've laid it all out there, you’re a true blogger…I just don’t buy into that, sorry.
The people I have found (and have found me back) have made me laugh and cry and think. I’m glad the invitation was extended by Bit and Byte.

I sat down to write about “Shanks for Nothing”, Rick Reilly’s follow-up to “Missing Links”. Both are golf fiction about the adventures and hi-jinks of a group of Boston hacks who play on an even hackier course nicknamed Ponky. I loved the first book. I was delightfully surprised to find the second. At the end, you miss the characters, and to me, that is the best indication of a book worth reading.


I also wanted to ponder my next choice…should I go back to “A People’s History of the United States”, which I was reading last summer? Or move on to the Harper Lee biography I just picked up? Or maybe “Great Expectations”, which I bought after realizing I’d never read a Charles Dickens novel….that still surprises me. All these thoughts began when I remembered, again, that I needed to update the link on the right side of my blog, Books On My Coffee Table. Most of them are now on a shelf somewhere.

It wasn’t until I sat down and fell into the déjà voodoo that the rest of this seeped from my fingertips to the screen. There’s been a small bunny out in the yard the entire time, eating grass and looking so cute I can’t hardly stand it. I’ve misplaced the boy and need to find him – which is how most of my blog sessions ended last summer.

It’s good to be back.

1 Comments:

At 6/12/2006 11:48:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sometimes just letting it flow is the best way to write. It's better than getting stuck...fingers poised above the keyboard and nothing to spur them on to action.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home