I've added "word verification" to the comment area to block spammers. My apologies.

Monday, September 19, 2005

Take Two Pebbles and Call Me a Cab...

I hate migraines. Well, duh, of course. I’ve yet to meet anyone who likes them so that’s really a pretty stupid way to start any conversation, sentence, play, song, etc. Although, that would be a pretty funny song subject. Anyway, I got one today at work. Luckily, I know exactly what the sign is to let me know that I’m getting one (blurry peripheral vision) and exactly how to get rid of it before it gets bad (3 Advil and 30 minutes with my eyes closed). So, that’s what I did this afternoon. However, as I’m driving home, with the beginnings of this migraine, a thought occurs to me –

Can you imagine being one of the first people to ever get a migraine? What the hell must that man or woman been thinking when this happened? For simplicity’s sake, we’ll assume it was a woman. She must have thought her skull was splitting in half….and not in a good way. I wonder what happened to all the people in the days prior to modern medicine that got migraines. There was no running to the Double Wa for some Excedrin. I know they had all kinds of herbal remedies back then but I wonder if anyone ever died from a migraine. Can people still die from a migraine? I imagine it must be EXTREMELY rare. What do they put in your obit? “The big Mary died of a headache.” That wouldn’t be right.

***

So, I have still not figured out why blowing smoke in somone’s face means you want to have sex with them. And I’ve done some research. Is this something that smokers are taught at a certain time? Do they wait until you’ve bought your 12th pack of cigarettes and then tell you that and the other smoking secrets? Like, how to keep a freaking match lit in the wind without burning your hand off or how to do that really cool flick thing with the butts? Until someone told me, I had no idea about the smoke in the face thing. If it ever happened to me before I knew what it meant, I probably walked away, thinking what a rude asshole that person was. I’d just like to know how it originated….I’m sort of fascinated by things like that.

***

I found one of the weirdest (but funniest) columns a few weeks back. It’s on
"The Stranger" web site, about halfway down on the middle right. It’s called “Savage Love”, written by Dan Savage. It’s sort of like Dear Abby for every freaky relationship / sex situation you can think of. I’m tempted to make something up just to see what he says….but I’m sure most of his writers are doing that exact same thing. Some of the stuff on there is pretty damn weird though…and for the stuff that’s true…it’s just sad. What I love the most are his responses….he just cuts right through the bullshit. I have no idea who he is – just that he a homosexual who is going to tell it to you straight - but I love reading this column. I’ve just started checking out other columns on that site.

***

I’ve been meaning to write about the possible loophole I found on the Turnpike. I’m going to try to get to that in the next day or two. It might make more sense to me if I write it down and maybe I can figure out if it truly exists or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home