I've added "word verification" to the comment area to block spammers. My apologies.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Mommy Deerest

Christopher Columbus was a sonofabitch. I just started reading Howard Zinn’s “A People’s History of the United States”. While I knew that finding the New World wasn’t all Tootsie Rolls and Etch-a-Sketch contests, I had no idea the horror inflicted upon these poor people. Just the first few pages will turn your stomach. This is the same book that Matt Damon’s character refers to in “Good Will Hunting”. When I’m done here, I’m going to sort laundry and then read some more.

***

Okay, we’re back to the deer. I know, you’re sick of this subject, but I haven’t talked about them in weeks! And it's my blog so too bad. Plus, they are in my back yard! Let me first explain the strange picture. The arrow is pointing the grill. The picture of the deer, obviously, is pasted into the picture of my backyard. Last week, I went out the back door to throw a steak on the grill and this little toddler deer was standing right next to my grill. I was so startled, I went back inside, as if I was the intruder. (His or her mother was out further, in the neighbor’s yard.) After about 20 minutes, I was hungry and had to go back out and s/he ran away. But not before I got a really bad picture – the flash bounced off the glass in the window of the back door.

So, tonight, I glance out the window and they’re back…the same ones! At first, they're over in the neighbor's yard again...that must be the magical portal to and from the trees. I'm not sure why they like my grass so much because my yard looks like shit (this is my first spring/summer in this house so it's not my fault). So I got the camera, opened an upstairs window and planted myself there…waiting for the deer to come over to the grill again. I sat there for a while, too. The toddler deer got to within about 20 feet and something scared them and off they went. The mother deer never actually comes over to the grill...maybe she prefers the microwave. However, I sat there long enough to feel justified in pasting this picture together. I actually got a picture of the REAL deer near a tree off to the left of the grill (you can see the leaves in the top left corner), but when I pasted it in, it’s even worse then this one. So…you get this monstrosity. The paste-a-deer is in the same spot as when I happened upon it the first night. THAT’S how close it was!

It was so quiet for a while, I could hear her/him chewing and I thought to myself, “Awww…how cute, how serene, how Mother Naturely." (not a word, I know).


Then it pooped in my yard. Twice.

It’s okay, I have to cut the grass anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home