I've added "word verification" to the comment area to block spammers. My apologies.

Friday, August 12, 2005

Back from the Gutter...

I realize that the subject matter of the past couple days hasn’t been something that would be printed in the Sunday bulletins at most churches. Yes, I can be a trashy little tramp as well as the next person…I believe most folks have that persona lurking about beneath the surface. After a while, of course, you strain your neck looking up from the gutter for so long. So I hitched a ride on a soda can until it hit a grate and flung me back onto the street. Now I can discuss more appropriate subject matter again. Plus, I was reading People magazine last night and a couple things struck me.

The issue was about Peter Jennings – very sad. There was also an article about Dana Reeves….Superman’s wife. She just announced that she has lung cancer. Also very sad – you’d think this woman could catch a break. In a side column, there was information about women and lung cancer. According to People (reputable medical journal that it is), lung cancer is the leading cause of death for women when it comes to cancers. I knew heart disease was the leading killer of women in general and thought that breast cancer was the leading cancer killer. Not so. Lung cancer kills more women then breast and ovarian cancer combined. I had no idea and I wonder who else doesn’t know this.

What’s more, it’s not even smokers who are most affected – which is what I first suspected and that made sense to me. Most of these women don’t smoke. The reasons this article gave for the number of non-smokers being so large are: smaller lungs in women, genetics and second hand smoke. Also, doctors are often not as quick to act when an abnormal x-ray comes back for a non-smoker. I find this disturbing, to say the least. When middle phase lung cancer is discovered in women, most don’t live more then 2 years. 2 years!

I used to be in pretty good health. I ate well, I worked out like a fiend and generally took care of myself. I’m the first to admit that I’ve been neglecting my health for the past couple years when I was going through a lot of stressful things in my personal life….of course, that’s the WORST time to neglect your health. But I did. I’m making a lame effort at returning to the gym and need to step that up a bit.

I’m going to talk to my doctor about the types of early screenings available for both lung cancer and heart disease and try to find out more. If anyone has information they want to share, please do.


Oh…another news flash from People….Brad and Angelina kissed in public. I was so shocked. I thought they were just friends.

And I promised myself that I wasn’t going to contribute to the T.O. circus anymore, but someone else brought it up this morning…namely, the girl who sprays my house every quarter for bugs/mice/termites/squatters. She came by this morning. While I was putting on my make-up, she and her cool spray wand pump container thingy (I love that thing) wandered into my pseudo-office and saw my copy of T.O.s book. I bought it last year when I still had some respect for him and haven’t actually read it yet…so it’s in the stack of books yet to be read. She asked what I thought of the whole situation and we ranted about it for several minutes. I am REALLY sick of seeing him and his Jerry McQuire-wannabe agent on the television. For a guy who says he’s not commenting on the situation, he sure has a lot to say.

Well, enough of that. Time for my morning exercise. Since I’m not at home and can’t workout in my driveway, I’ll just go into the hall outside my office and pump iron. If that gets boring, I’ll move to the parking lot.

ASS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home