I've added "word verification" to the comment area to block spammers. My apologies.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

My drive to work is 95% PA Turnpike…a whole topic unto itself that I will tackle on another day (it might even be a 2 day topic). Whilst driving I listen to the radio, of course. This morning I heard a commercial for a Hair Removal Clinic/Lab/Buffet – I don’t know what it was called. You would think that it is enough of a selling point to simply tell people that if they don’t want their hair, here’s a solution for you. Call this number and life as you know it changes forever. Of course, that’s not the case and it is the nature of the advertising world to exaggerate and oversell most things….except ice cream, that sells itself. (Really, why are commercials for ice cream even necessary?)

In my selective hearing process, I catch the words “hair removal”, “pain free” (right!), “pennies a day” (I made that one up) – you get the idea. I wasn’t really listening. But then!!...a woman, presumably a client, starts yammering about how great this is. The next words out of her mouth completely flabbergast me.


“I used to spend HOURS a week shaving in the shower…”

HOURS?!! What on Earth is she shaving?! Let’s break this down. At the very most, if you’re being very, very careful and very, very thorough (probably because you think you’re getting lucky that day/evening), it takes a woman approximately 10 minutes to shave. I believe this is a fair calculation. All the women I’ve spoken to about shaving – and when I say all, I mean 5 (maybe) – say it takes 5 to 10 minutes. And I’m no exception...even when I’m prepping for a night of sex. If you shave every day of the week…that’s 70 minutes….just over an hour. Is this woman shaving her head every day? Hours? Really?!

The very thought of what she is doing with that razor scares the bejeezus out of me.

In the end, the commercial did its job; I can’t stop thinking about this Hair Removal place. I’m not thinking about it because I want to become a client. I just can’t stop thinking about these poor women who, for some unknown reason, are spending hours a week shaving. Maybe they are shaving their pets at the same time. I really can’t comprehend what they’re doing….and I’m not sure I want to.

5 Comments:

At 8/04/2005 11:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I will be your second official commenter.

You're a hoot. Can't wait for more. And now I have to go shave....

Dot's mom

 
At 8/04/2005 11:13:00 AM, Blogger Cherry Indigo (Cindy) said...

Thanks! There are t-shirts for the first 3 official commenters. It's not a commemorative t-shirt or anything, just one from the pile of old ones that I don't wear anymore. You can choose, they're in my garage.

 
At 8/04/2005 11:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I be #3? And my first thought when I read that this woman spent HOURS shaving, was the same as yours. What the hell is she shaving? Frankly, I'm a little concerned for my personal safety now.
~D

 
At 8/04/2005 11:48:00 AM, Blogger Cherry Indigo (Cindy) said...

Yes, you are #3...pick your shirt!!

 
At 8/04/2005 12:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I lost out on the T-shirt, I nearly didn't comment but your thoughts made me laugh out loud so congratulations. This isn't a feat easily accomplished these days. Selling the home has been stressful. Why just this morning - while shaving my legs - I was thinking of last night when a woman came through to see the home and clogged our toilet and then in what must have been a panic to flush, actually broke the handle. This was a pleasant surprise to come home to. Best wishes to our own blue-eyed blogger!

Signed,
Retired Dream Spirit

 

Post a Comment

<< Home